Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Yay for School

Chandler first day of 5th grade
Yesterday was the first day of school here in Huntsville, AL.  The fifth grader got to school and home without a hitch.

The high schooler waited for the bus for 45 mins and just when we got in the car to drive it showed up. They were almost an hour late, plus he spent several hours with the counselor getting his schedule straightened out, then couldn't find the bus to get home.  So I had to go get him and it is a hike over the mountain to get him.  According to maps it is 13 miles and 30 mins. That's an extra hour of my day wasted. He also realized he read the wrong book for summer reading, since we thought he was going to be in a different English class. So he has 3 days to read Edgar Allen Poe. Good luck with that. Hopefully today will be better for him.
Jackson first day at new high school


The students all got HP laptops instead of text books this year. That is amazing to me.  Our school district has been a bit sluggish let's say to keep up with other areas in the past.  Last year we got a new superintendent and he seems to be whipping the place into shape. Since Huntsville area has more rocket scientists and PhD's than anywhere else its nice to have that reflected in the public education system too.

So, what did I do with my first day semi-alone? Not much, unpacked lots and lots of books from their boxes.  Now they are all scattered on the floor of the office because the shelves need to be adjusted so they can actually fit. I didn't realize how many books I had. I may need to give some to new homes or find more shelves :0) Then I went to the YMCA and exercised. Yes I am sore today and that's it. Those few hours fly by! Today's plan, exercise, visit a friend in the hospital, and maybe get to the county offices to figure out what I need to do about licensing a business and collect/pay sales tax.

2:00 will be here before I know it, so off I go!

1 comment:

  1. Dang...those boys are growing up! I didn't recognize chandler. Meag would think Jackson is hot.!!! (yes, teen-girl hormones are rampant here...as you would guess.)
    Glad you had a good one!!!

    ReplyDelete